Thunder Signs Daniel Orton
The Oklahoma City Thunder has added Oklahoma City native and former Bishop McGuinness standout Daniel Orton to its roster, the team announced Saturday.
Orton, a 6-foot-10 center, will join the team on a non-guaranteed training camp contract and is not assured a spot on the opening night roster.
The off-season additions of Perry Jones III, Hasheem Thabeet and Hollis Thompson bumped the number of players under contract with the Thunder to the league-maximum 15. Orton is expected to be one of a handful of training camp invitees who must fight to make the final roster.
If Orton does not make the team, it’s likely that he will be assigned to the Thunder-owned Tulsa 66ers of the NBA D-League. It’s something the Thunder has done in the past with former training camp players like Jerome Dyson and Elijah Millsap.
Orton was selected 29th overall by Orlando in the 2010 NBA Draft after just one season at Kentucky. Injuries have plagued Orton since high school, when a knee injury caused him to miss the entire regular season of his senior season at McGuinness. As a high school junior, the last time he played meaningful minutes, Orton averaged 13.7 points, 11.7 rebounds and 5.2 blocks.
In two seasons with Orlando, Orton averaged 2.8 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.6 blocks in 16 games. He did not appear in any games as a rookie in 2010-11 after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee early in that season.
In January, the Magic declined to pick up Orton’s third-year option, making him an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Orton, who will turn 22 on Monday, is now believed to be fully healthy.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6223Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5055Oklahoma City psychiatrist fined $25K for letting students write prescriptions
- 4821Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients