Serge Ibaka deal could net $51.5 million
Multiple sources have confirmed Serge Ibaka’s four-year extension with the Thunder could total $51.5 million with incentives.
Ibaka’s base salary is $49 million for the deal that begins in the 2013-14 season, with an additional $2.5 million in potential bonuses for achievements believed to include NBA Defensive Player of the Year and remaining a member of the league’s All-Defensive first team.
Ibaka finished second to New York’s Tyson Chandler for Defensive Player of the Year last season. He also was named to the All-Defensive first team after leading the league in blocked shots (3.65 per game) with 107 more than his closest competitior in a lockout-shortened 66-game season.
Ibaka’s base salary previously was reported to be $48 million for four years. The actual sum leaves even a tighter fit for the Thunder to offer rookie contract extensions to guards James Harden and Eric Maynor.
The deadline to sign a rookie extension is Oct. 31. After that, Harden and Maynor will become restricted free agents and free to be courted by other teams next summer. In order for Harden and Maynor to remain in OKC, the Thunder would have to match whatever offers are extended to the two players.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4061As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3840Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3249Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients