Another national writer is impressed by the Chesapeake Energy Arena environment
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Steady points from Kevin Durant, constant energy from Russell Westbrook and a full house at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Those are the three things you can count on at Thunder home games these days, as certain as death and taxes.
Including Wednesday night’s game against the Jazz, OKC’s sellout streak will stand at 80 consecutive games. And that’s just counting regular season games, not the playoffs, when it’s theoretically harder to fill the building.
But it’s not just the volume of people showing up to Thunder games that’s been so impressive, but the consistent energy they bring. It has made an impression on national figures in the past, and continues to do so.
These are the people that travel across the league, see games in every building, rate the experiences and commonly put The Peake somewhere near the top.
The latest example is Sheridan Hoops writer P.R. Casey. He released a piece on Tuesday, following his trip to OKC for the Thunder’s 91-79 win over Boston on Sunday. It’s a good read, click here for the full thing.
In it, he details his experience and raves about the environment:
“If you don’t have an NBA arena bucket list, you should. If you do, “The Peake,” as its affectionately known, should be at the top of the heap,” Casey writes. “Here’s why. It’s moniker is simply Loud City. What “The Peake” lacks in history (opened in 2002), it makes up for in a rabid, decibel-driven fan base that comes out 18,203 strong every time the Thunder hold court.”
Casey also talked to Celtic guard and former UT hooper Avery Bradley, who described it this way:
“It’s loud; it’s kind of like a college atmosphere,” Bradley told Casey. “You can just feel it. The fans are so intense here. They’re so in love with the Thunder. For it to be like a college game, that’s the best atmosphere.”
Throughout the piece, Casey continues to speak highly of the in-arena production, even quoting OKC bench players Kevin Martin and Hasheem Thabeet (“It’s electrifying”) and providing the latest reminder to Thunder fans of the unique experience currently residing in their backyard.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 96630Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13870Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9391Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8546Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8291OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7627How to help tornado victims
- 7193Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6598Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 6117Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 5969Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients