Brooks wants Thunder to “pass” the test
Thunder coach Scott Brooks said his team must improve its passing if it’s going to return to the NBA Finals this season.
OKC convincingly finished dead last (30th) in the NBA for most turnovers during the 2011-12 regular season, averaging 16.3 per game while opponents committed just 14.2.
In what way must the Thunder improve? Their passing ability, catching ability, decision-making?
“It’s a combination of a lot of things,” Brooks explained after Friday’s practice. “It’s the willingness to pass, the decisions to make the correct pass, the ability to understand where the next pass (is) and also the receiver. In the past we had some spacing issues, but that picked up last season. Some of our turnovers were off of guys trying to make the pass and didn’t quite execute it the same way.
“I hope to see another step in that direction, but we have guys who get along and we have guys who play extremely hard and the next step is to try to figure out ways to get better offensively and help each other score more easily. We spend a lot of time on passing drills, just the basic fundamentals of passing – chest pass, push pass, bounce pass, overhead pass, baseball pass – we try to incorporate them all in the course of a practice. Then we try to do 2-on-0, 3-on-0, 5-on-0 drills that really promote the passing mentality. I thought the guys have done a good job of that.”
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients