Thunder Acquires Lazar Hayward From Wolves
The Thunder has found its backup to Kevin Durant.
Oklahoma City has acquired small forward Lazar Hayward, the 30th overall pick in the 2010 draft, from Minnesota in exchange for Robert Vaden and two conditional second round picks.
Hayward played 42 games last season, averaging 3.8 points and 1.7 rebounds in 10 minutes per game.
A native of Buffalo, N.Y., Hayward has quickly established a reputation for being tough and team-oriented. He struggled to get minutes with the Wolves last season having a logjam at the forward spot with Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson, Martell Webster, Corey Brewer, Anthony Randolph, Anthony Tolliver and Kevin Love. With Minnesota drafting Derrick Williams out of Arizona with the No. 2 overall pick, Hayward was faced with seeing less court time in Minnesota this season.
With the Thunder, Hayward isn’t likely to stand out. But the 6-foot-6, 225-pound swingman has a chance to garner at least the same 10 minutes a night as he did last season. Hayward adds size and shooting to the Thunder’s bench and could be another low-risk, high-reward player acquisition that provides meaningful minutes behind Durant.
Vaden, the 54th overall pick in the 2009 draft, ended the season with the Thunder but did not appear in a game. He averaged 10.4 points in 45 games with the Tulsa 66ers last season.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 51290Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14843Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9419Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7710Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7083Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6592Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6563Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6561Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6039How to help tornado victims
- 5671Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients