Oklahoma City Thunder: Ref Ken Mauer offers insight
NBA referee Ken Mauer conducted a short seminar for the media on Tuesday night before the Thunder-Bobcats exhibition. Mauer told us about points of emphasis and areas of continuing emphasis. It was educational and enlightening.
I’ve long said NBA officiating is first rate. There might be a game or two a year when I think the officiating gets shoddy, but not more than that. It’s an incredibly difficult sport to call, yet the officials have reasoning and explanations for everything they do. These guys are well-trained. They’re not just out there calling whatever they happen to see.
Mauer showed us a 20-minute video going over the points of emphasis, and he sat by me to watch the video and offered all kinds of comments. The block/charge dilemma seemed to perplex him the most. Example: if the defender is set, easy call. If the defender hasn’t established position, easy call. But if a defender sets his feet, then gently moves into a driver who is trying to go around the defender, it’s a tough call.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4779Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4600Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4155Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients