Dumb jocks? Not here
There’s plenty of unsavory stuff in sports.
But the annual scholar-athlete awards presented by The Oklahoman and the Jim Thorpe Association count as some of the good stuff. There are no messy scandals. There are no seedy situations. There are only kids who have struck an amazing balance between athletics and academics.
Watch my latest video commentary or read below:
Year after year, envelope after envelope, the amazing resumes flood my mailbox every spring.
As the coordinator of the high school scholar-athlete awards presented by The Oklahoman and the Jim Thorpe Association, I have a chance to see every nomination. I marvel at the awesome performances in athletics and the amazing accomplishments in academics.
You’d think I’d get used to it.
Hasn’t happened yet.
On Sunday, we will reveal this year’s crop of scholar-athletes. These are the best and the brightest in the Oklahoma City area. And they will amaze you.
After being involved with the scholar-athlete program for several years, I am mindful not only of what these young men and women have done but also what they will do. These past few years, we have had Ivy Leaguers and Big 12 champions, even a Sooner quarterback who you might’ve heard about. But now, we’ve got college graduates, too. Four years ago was the first time we awarded scholar-athletes the way we do now, with an overall boys and girls winner. Traci Rohde from Community Christian School and Michael Gibson from Tuttle were the winners that year. Now, Traci is a graduate of Stephen F. Austin getting ready to start on her master’s and Michael is an alumni of Princeton.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5362Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 3318Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients