Is all that glitters really golden?
When it comes to most things in the Olympics, I’m a softy.
But I’ve always had a hard time with the Dream Team, or whatever rhyming name the U.S. men’s basketball team happens to be going by this time around. Multi-millionaires going after gold always seemed a little bit odd to me.
Watch my latest video commentary or continue reading below:
Then again, I’m old enough to remember a time when Olympians had to be amateurs. No pros allowed. If they’d have talked about “bling” then, they would’ve actually been talking about their Olympic medals.
So, even though I watched the Redeem Team, as the Americans were pegged for these Olympics, it was with a bit of cynicism. Sure, they should be better than Greece. Of course they should beat Argentina. They have at least the four best players on the planet right now on this team.
I’ll be a softy for men’s volleyball or women’s soccer or just about any other Olympic sport. But men’s basketball? No way.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20967Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17573Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12128Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9661Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9194Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8604Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8594Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8358Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4994Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4806OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients