Talk about Sooner horsepower
There’s a new Boomer and Sooner this season.
The ponies that pulled the Sooner Schooner for the past 14 years retired after last season. Both horses were in their late teens, and even though I know little about what age does to the equine, I suspect those horses deserve a good long trip to the Caribbean.
Their replacements took to the Owen Field sod for the first time under game time conditions today, although it was a slow arrival.
The Schooner made its entrance and tradition loop around the field during the pregame at a noticeably slower speed. No doubt running out on the field in front of 85,000 people for the first time was a bit unnerving for the grey ponies, but they made the trip without incident.
Here’s hoping they get used to their new gig quickly. With the Sooners already on the scoreboard less than five minutes into the game against Chattanooga, the Schooner might make a bunch of trips tonight.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3554How to help tornado victims
- 3541Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3452Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients