Is the slam dunk contest dead?
Used to be, the best thing about NBA All-Star Weekend was the dunk contest.
The dunk contest last weekend was a dud. Nate Robinson won the title for the third time, and while it was cool to see the diminutive dude throw down the first time, the excitement is gone now. And it’s not just because of Robinson. He’s the last guy to blame for this.
Some say that the problem with the dunk contest is a lack of stars. While it’s true that it’d be fun to see LeBron and D-Wade and Dwight Howard and Kobe go after it, the problem with the dunk contest isn’t so much the lacking starpower. It’s the lacking creativity.
No more are we wowed by feats of athletic prowess. The players have ruined us by doing amazing things every night during games. We’ve seen the power. We’ve seen the leaping. None of it gets us going.
But seeing a guy slap a sticker of his face on the backboard? Or watching someone blow out a candle on a cupcake put on the rim? Or having a guy wear a Superman get up? That’s the kind of thing that makes the slam dunk contest great now.
The creativity is dead, and so is the slam dunk contest.
If the NBA is serious about resituating it, it has to take action. The best players need to be involved because if you get a bunch of the top guys in the business in the contest, they’re more likely to bring their A games.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 52918Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 35454Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32552Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8890Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 7405Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 5405Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4121OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3647George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3351Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3251Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.