Who’s got tickets? OKC does
Oklahoma City has become a victim of its own success.
That might not entirely explain why the NCAA men’s basketball regional at the Ford Center didn’t sell out early like most regionals in Oklahoma City do. You could put the down economy, the absence of local teams and an amazing Thunder season at the top of the list for reasons why ticket sales for the regional are a bit off.
But I think past successes are a factor, too.
Oklahoma City’s regionals have traditionally been fast sellouts. Tickets for them don’t go as fast as tickets for, say, the Eagles or the Rolling Stones, but usually, all the seats are scooped up long before the NCAA Tournament bracket is ever announced.
So, there’s an expectation that available tickets are going to be scarce to non-existent. That expectation may have created some of the lagging sales that we’re seeing this year.
People don’t think there are tickets, so they don’t go looking.
That might seem far-fetched, but last week at the Big 12 Tournament, I interviewed a couple from the Tulsa area. They are Kansas fans, and since they drove all the way to Kansas City to watch the Jayhawks, I figured they’d be heading to Oklahoma City for the regional.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3771OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3668Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3566How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.