From the floor of Carver-Hawkeye
It’s practice-and-press-conference day in Iowa City.
Oklahoma has already come and gone, being first up as the No. 1 seed here in this NCAA Tournament regional. Sherri Coale and her Sooners will take on Prairie View A&M in their tournament opener at 6 p.m. Sunday.
I’ll have some highlights from the Oklahoma and Prairie View press conferences a little later this evening, but Iowa is practicing on the Carver-Hawkeye Arena floor right now. Watching the Hawkeyes got me thinking about a couple things.
* There is actually a decent smattering of people here watching the Hawkeyes. That bodes well for tomorrow’s crowd, considering it’s a beautiful spring day here in Iowa and they’re predicting rain for the next couple days. That folks would decide to come and sit inside to watch the Hawkeyes practice tells me that there will be a decent crowd Sunday evening.
* Officials here have said that 4,000 tickets have already sold for Sunday’s games. That would fall well short of the attendance numbers the last time the Sooners played an NCAA Tournament regional at the Lloyd Noble Center, but after seeing some of the crowds at the women’s games being played today, a crowd of 4,000-plus would look mighty good. No team wants a sterile environment for its NCAA Tournament opener.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients