Will Staples Center bite Thunder?
A snake pit, the Staples Center isn’t.
Still, playing the Lakers on their home court will present a different challenge for the Thunder. When Oklahoma City’s playoff series against Los Angeles opens Sunday, this youthful bunch will discover a level of distraction that is unlike anything else in sports.
Lakers games are where Hollywood types come to see and be seen, so the Thunder has seen the circus during its previous trips. The movie stars. The music moguls. The famous faces.
But what they’ve seen during the regular season is nothing compared to what the Staples Center is like during the playoffs.
“When they go to L.A., they’re going to see more celebrities than they’ve seen in their previous trips,” Yahoo! Sports NBA writer Marc Spears said.
Maybe the players will be able to block that out, but it’d be difficult to believe that they won’t be wowed a bit by the whole scene. Jack Nicholson sitting just down the row from the visitors’ bench. Justin Timberlake over there. Halle Berry over here. We’re wowed by celebrity; impossible to believe that it’d be much different for Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Co.
“It’s interesting who’s there and how big of a distraction that can be,” Spears said.
That doesn’t even take into account the distraction that comes with being in Los Angeles. There are trendy restaurants. There are popular clubs. There are places to go and things to do that you won’t find anywhere else.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15849OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15499Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10070'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 9359Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8965Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8555Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 7639Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7596Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7433Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7053Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients