Prep phenom powered by peanut butter
A fun tidbit from my story on Del City High standout Toni Young ended up on the cutting room floor.
Through the power of the blog, it lives here as an outtake.
As I mentioned in the story, Young was a beanpole three or four years ago. Even now as an Oklahoma State basketball signee and the national high school record holder in the high jump, she’s won’t be mistaken for a bodybuilder, but she’s nowhere near what she was. She said she weighed about a hundred pounds in eighth and ninth grade when she first tried sports, but really, she admitted later, it was more like 85 pounds.
So, how did she go from beanpole beginner to 6-foot-1 powerhouse?
“Peanut butter and my brother,” she said.
While the story talked about her brother’s influence, I didn’t have a chance to mention the importance of peanut butter. Just about every night, Young mixed together peanut butter and syrup. She told me that the ratio had to be just right, too. The perfect formula was a little heavy on the peanut butter.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients