Utah football coach: BCS dying, playoff coming
Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham believes super conferences are only a matter of time.
Ditto for a college football playoff.
As a panelist at the Associated Press Sports Editors’ convention today in Salt Lake City, Whittingham said that he believes that this summer’s conference realignment is a precursor of more changes to come. Utah, you’ll remember, is one of the teams that has decided to switch conferences. It is leaving the Mountain West Conference for the Pac-10 Conference.
“I think this is just phase one of conference expansion,” Whittingham said.
He believes there will be super conferences within the next decade, not sooner than three years from now but not longer than 10 years from now.
And Whittingham thinks that super conferences will lead the way to a college football playoff.
Whittingham admits he doesn’t have any inside information about what might happen in the future, and yet, his prognostication seems reasonable. This summer’s conference realignment made it clear that conferences and schools are interested in looking for new and different ways to do business. Likewise, they aren’t afraid to disrupt the status quo.
If some of these newly expanded conferences see that expansion was a success — and there’s little reason to believe that it won’t be — it makes sense that leagues will be interested to doing more.
I’ll have more on the panel that Whittingham was a part of in coming days on my blog. Whittingham along with the BYU athletic director and the State of Utah’s attorney general talked about all sorts of BCS-related issues. Be sure to check back!
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients