Golf in the Olympics?
About this time tomorrow morning, the International Olympic Committee will decide which two sports will be presented for inclusion on the Olympic program.
The newbies will join the fun in 2016.
The leading contenders: rugby and golf.
While rugby isn’t wildly popular in the United States, I could support its inclusion. It’s a sport that has broad appeal around the world. It’s played in many countries, and frankly, it’d be a lot of fun to watch.
I think about rugby as the Summer Olympics version of curling — as Americans, we may not know much about it, but every four years, we will become fascinated by it.
Golf, unlike rugby, is a sport that Americans like, but putting it in the Olympics is a horrible idea.
The Olympics are meant to be the pinnacle of the sports that are there. That simply wouldn’t be the case with golf. Winning a major on the PGA Tour would still be a bigger deal than winning a medal at the Olympics.
Those majors are the best of the best from around the world.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15849OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15499Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10070'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 9359Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8965Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8555Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 7639Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7596Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7433Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7053Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients