What is ailing the Cowboy offense?
Something is wrong with the Oklahoma State offense.
Everyone can see it, but no one can explain it.
Maybe the short answer is that this offense just isn’t everything it was thought to be. But you know what? I don’t buy that. These guys have talent, probably as much individual talent as anyone in the country.
Maybe it’s time to use that talent differently. The Cowboys need to throw the ball. Do it early. Do it often.
Listen, I know that the prevailing attitude in football is that an offense needs to first establish the running game, then go to the passing game. And from the looks of the first two games, that’s what the Cowboys are trying to do. But you know what? It’s not working.
That was painfully evident against Houston. The Cougars brought in an inexperienced defensive line, highlighted by a pair of freshmen defensive ends. No doubt the Cowboys thought they could dominate the line of scrimmage and pound the ball. That didn’t happen.
The Cowboys scored just one touchdown in the first half. One. Against Houston. It’s one thing to score a touchdown before halftime against Georgia, but against Houston? That’s inexcusable.
The Cowboys need to come out and pop opponents with their passing game. If they’d have come out and hit Dez Bryant with a couple big, early plays last Saturday, it would’ve put Houston on its heels. Bryant, after all, had a huge game against the Cougars last year. They would’ve been thinking, “Oh, here we go again.”
Zac Robinson had a couple throws to Bryant go incomplete in the early going. But you know what I would’ve done had that happened? I’d have thrown it to him again.
Make defenses stop your most powerful weapon.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16829OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15402Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12656Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11727Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9454Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7777Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7628Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7109Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6861Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6397Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.