Predictions: Who was right, wrong about ’11?
Since predictions for the 2012 college football season are already out, I figured now might be a good time to look back on some of the prognostications for the season that isn’t even 24 hours in the books.
Us here at OPUBCO headquarters.
Every year, we do a football preview section, and this year, our college football coverage team picked all sorts of things. Best players. Best games. I got a kick out of going back through some of them.
None of us picked Alabama and LSU to play in the national championship game. Then again, who could’ve seen a rematch in the title game?
Good news is, six of the eight us had one of the two teams in the title game. Alabama was a pick for OU beat writer Mike Baldwin, OSU recruting writer Jason Kersey, sports editor Mike Sherman, assistant sports editor Ryan Sharp and yours truly. OSU beat writer John Helsley had LSU in the game.
Only my fellow columnist Berry Tramel and OU recruiting writer Ryan Aber had neither SEC school in the game. Berry liked Boise State vs. Virginia Tech while Ryan went with Oklahoma and Oregon.
Four of us actually had the Crimson Tide winning the whole thing — Baldwin, Sherman, Sharp and I.
Maybe we do know what we’re talking about occassionally.
It was interesting to see what teams everyone picked to play in the BCS bowls. Everyone had at least five of the 10 teams, a pretty good batting average if you ask me.
Well, I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I picked eight of the 10 BCS teams. Alabama. LSU. OSU. Stanford. Wisconsin. Oregon. West Virginia. Virginia Tech. I only whiffed on OU and Boise State.
Of course, I also said Roy Finch would be the Sooners’ most thrilling player and that former OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson would win seven games in his first season at Indiana.
Finch struggled to get on the field the first half of the season, and the Hoosiers struggled to one win.
Hello, humble pie.
It’s just interesting to look back at predictions and remember that they all have to be taken with a grain of salt. And hey, we did ours in August. These predictions that are coming out now are being made before we even know all of the players who are headed to the NFL. The deadline to declare isn’t until Sunday.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19471Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14514Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10937UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9667Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8444Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7027Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5625Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5257Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 4924Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4923Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients