Thunder: Russell Westbrook’s efficient excellence
Russell Westbrook doesn’t do anything quietly.
Yet, his recent stretch of excellent play has flown largely under the radar. For example, the Thunder point guard scored 23 points on 7-for-14 shooting, grabbed eight rebounds, dished seven assists and committed just one turnover Wednesday night against Minnesota, but even though we dispatched three writers from OPUBCO headquarters to chronicle the game, none of us focused our stories on Westbrook.
But in many ways, Westbrook’s efficient excellence has lulled all of us, media and fans alike, to sleep. Heck, even his teammates fall into that category.
“It’s nothing new,” Kevin Durant said of Westbrook’s performance against Minnesota. “So when you guys come and ask me about Russ, it’s nothing new. He’s doing the same things over and over again. It’s no surprise to me.”
All of us have come to expect these sorts of nights from Westbrook. We only sit up and take notice when he does something extreme on the high or the low side of that norm. But the truth is, there’s very little that’s normal about what Westbrook is doing.
He is playing out-of-his-mind basketball.
Look at his last 10 games. Even though he hasn’t always shot the ball great — 38.6 percent from the floor during this 10-game stretch — he’s had six games with six rebounds or more, including two with 11. He’s had six games of eight assists or more, including two with 10. He’s had six games with three steals and seven games with five turnovers or less. And even though he’s had some struggles shooting, he’s still scoring well, averaging 23.5 points over this last 10-game stretch.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients