Robert Griffin: Shades of Vince Young?
On a September Saturday back in 2005, I sat in the press box at The Horseshoe watching Texas beat Ohio State.
It was an epic game in a storied stadium. I remember the sea of scarlet and gray, the dotting of the I, the energy of the day. But the thing that sticks out most in my mind is Vince Young.
The Longhorn quarterback had a day for the ages. He accounted for 346 yards of offense.
Texas’ total: 382 yards.
His performance was about more than his yardage, though. On the Longhorns’ game-winning drive in the 25-22 victory, Young completed three of four passes including the go-ahead touchdown to Limas Sweed. He was composed. He was controlling.
He refused to let the Longhorns lose.
So it was the rest of that season as Young led Texas to the national championship. He infused that team with his refuse-to-lose attitude. He changed the course of that program.
Which brings us to Robert Griffin.
The Baylor quarterback has transformed the Bears. A program that hasn’t been to a bowl since 1995 — and remember, there are enough bowl games to accommodate just about every team in college football — is not only bowl eligible with a 7-2 record but also atop the Big 12 South standings.
After missing last season with a torn ACL, he has turned around the program. You saw evidence of that last weekend. With Texas leading in the second half, Griffin rallied the Bears. He picked up a first down on fourth-and-1 with a gritty dive. He scored a touchdown on a third-down keeper after being stuffed on his first two tries.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 25487Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17319Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9536OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8741Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7985Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7943UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7139Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6051Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5454Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4574Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients