Heisman fun for everyone
For the most part, Heisman Trophy campaigns are a thing of the past.
Too bad, too.
It was always fun to see the goofy campaigns that schools came up with. A couple years ago, Memphis did a miniature race car to tout DeAngelo Williams. Earlier this year, Missouri sent out one of those old-school view finders with pictures of Chase Daniel.
This morning, though, my mail contained one of my favorite campaigns of all time. It’s a campaign built around a campaign. Texas Tech has not one, but two Heisman candidates in Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree. In an effort to promote both, the school is doing a political-campaign-themed campaign.
Crabtree-Harrell: Pass or Catch 2008.
Tech sent out a magnet, a bumper sticker and even a campaign button.
Too bad that more schools don’t have this kind of fun with their Heisman campaigns. Any more, most places send out updates on awards candidates via e-mail or postcards. Listen, I’m not any more likely to vote for Harrell or Crabtree because their school did a goofy campaign, but still, it’s nice to see the fun is not completely dead in college football.
One thing, though — I think it’s interesting that it’s Crabtree-Harrell instead of Harrell-Crabtree. I suspect when the campaign was hatched before the season, the folks at Tech suspected that Crabtree, the talented receiver, had a much better shot at the Heisman than Harrell. But with only two games remaining, the Tech quarterback is the frontrunner in most Heisman polls.
You can check out Tech’s Heimsan campaign for yourself at www.passorcatch2008.com.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 37007Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32519Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27986Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 8311Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6200OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3643College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3643Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3356Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3265Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3234George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients