What if Texas had finished higher?
There has been an excessive amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth since the BCS standings were announced Sunday afternoon.
As everyone knows, Oklahoma finished ahead of Texas, and that broke the three-way tie in the Big 12 South.
Since then, college football has been in a tizzy. Fans are up in arms. Regional and national pundits have almost unanimously decried what happened. Some argued that the Big 12 tiebreaker system is flawed. Others asserted that the Longhorns got jobbed.
But what if it went the other way?
What if Texas had stayed ahead of OU? What if the Longhorns were the ones getting ready for this weekend’s Big 12 title game in Kansas City?
My guess — college football would still be in a twist over what happened.
Think about it. Mack Brown and Texas spent more than a week politicking. They told anyone who would listen that they beat OU, that that should be the only criteria that matter and that they should be going to Kansas City.
Listen, I’m not saying what the Longhorns did is right or wrong.
What I am saying is that if Texas would’ve managed to sway enough pollsters to switch their vote thereby swinging the BCS number in their favor, would that have made all of college football feel better? The politicking of one powerful program would’ve swayed the outcome of the season.
Would that have been an outcome everyone could’ve lived with?
Something tells me that would’ve caused its own wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients