Quinton Carter: OU football player a rarity
But I may work in this profession many more years and never experience anything like I did Monday night.
It was Quinton Carter Appreciation Night at KinderCare in Norman.
Most folks know Carter as the All-American senior safety at Oklahoma, but to an active group of 4-year-olds and their parents, he is Mr. Q.
As soft-spoken off the field as he is hard-hitting on it, Carter adopted the 4-year-old class at the child care center earlier this year. He visited whenever he could, helping with projects and playing with the kids. Even though he was already heavily involved in community service – he has done football camps back home in Las Vegas for several summers, volunteered for many events in and around Norman, and started his own non-profit charity two years ago – Carter felt called to get involved at KinderCare.
It was easy to see why.
When he walked in the door Monday night, he was greeted by a chorus of toddler voices.
“Mr. Q!” they squealed.
There were hugs and pats on the head and smiles. Lots of smiles.
There were also tears. Lots of tears.
That’s how much Carter has meant to the kids and their parents, and before he leaves Norman for the NFL this spring, they wanted to tell him.Brittany Taylor, a single mother, stood up with her son, Caleb Wallace.
“He’s just been overall a very good role model for my son,” Taylor said of Carter. “I’ve been an athlete my whole life. You don’t see a lot of athletes doing what he’s doing.”Going to games, talking to athletes and coaches, making a living covering sports — I readily admit that I’m lucky to have such a cool job.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20726Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16618Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11933Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11447Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10097Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9885OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9809Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5447Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 5142Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 5023Student shot dead during botched home invasion
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients