Boren’s Pac-12 Comments Still Causing a Stir
When Oklahoma president David Boren stepped out late last week and indicated that the Sooners were focused on heading to the Pac-12, it caused shock waves in these parts.
Apparently, the reverb is still being felt.
I went on The Barnhart and Durham Show this morning. The sports talk show airs on 790 The Zone, the big sports station in Atlanta, and it pairs two of the South’s bigger sports media personalities, Tony Barnhart and Wes Durham.
(You can listen to the entire segment below.)
The guys couldn’t get over some of the things that Boren had said last Friday. And truth be told, it was truly shocking how much Boren shared after being practically mute on the Big 12 brouhaha up until that point.
But as I told Tony and Wes, I think Boren and Co. have simply grown weary of trying to play peacemaker. A year ago, they worked hard to keep the Big 12 together when Nebraska and Colorado decided to split. They did their darnedest to make the league viable for the long term. They pledged their allegiance along with the nine other teams to do everything in their power to keep the league together.
Recent events, though, have shown that everyone else wasn’t as committed.
Texas started The Longhorn Network, and even though ESPN is calling the shots for TLN, the network just keeps pushing limits and pushing buttons. Just when things would simmer down, it would stir things up again.
Texas A&M wanted to bolt a year ago, but even though it said it would work to keep the Big 12 together, there was always a feeling that the Aggies had their eye on the door. Now, they’ve not only turned the knob and opened the door, but they’ve also got one foot out.
Amid all of this, I suspect OU tired of trying to hold together teams that seemed to be doing everything in their power to push away their conference brethren. Why keep fighting for the Big 12 when so many are fighting against it?
No doubt Boren surprised many with his comments. Probably even frustrated some folks, too. But it’s safe to say no one is more frustrated than Boren, frustrated that the Big 12 seems destined to dissolve, frustrated that all of OU’s efforts have been for naught.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients