OU linebacker Travis Lewis sings praise of freshman Corey Nelson
But Lewis has already begun grooming his replacement at weak-side linebacker: true freshman Corey Nelson, whom Lewis couldn’t stop praising Friday:
“He is an athlete. He’s really picking up the defense. He’s like I was after my sophomore year, that’s how fast he has picked up the defense. He’s gonna be a great replacement. He’ll be on the field this year in special teams.”
Nelson could prove to be one of the top gets from a class of 2010 that appears to be loaded with promising talent. Remember, Nelson was a longtime commitment to Texas A&M, but in the days before Signing Day, changed his mind and switched to the Sooners.
“You better watch out for this guy,” Lewis said. “He’s going to be better than me.
“I’m looking for great things from him.”
* Bob Stoops announced after practice that DE Justin Chaisson has withdrawn from school and that Matt Mooreland will not return, due to academic issues that won’t be resolved in time for the season.
“He’s back in Las Vegas,” Stoops said of Chaisson. “Just doesn’t want to do it anymore.”
Chaisson was one of the top commitments in the recruiting class of 2009, but encountered some personal problems off the field.
Moreland has been OU’s kickoff specialist the last two years.
* WR Kenny Stills is just about over a groin pull that has sidelined him for a week. Stills is looking to lock down a starting spot.
* LB Ronnell Lewis missed Thursday’s scrimmage. Stoops said he had to have a tooth taken out. No, it wasn’t from hitting someone too hard. “Too much candy, probably,” Stoops said.
* True freshman CB Aaron Colvin continues to draw praise.
“We call him slick,” said senior corner/safety Jonathan Nelson. “He’s not a guy who gets his head down. Very mature for his age. I guarantee he’s going to have a great career here.”
Colvin, a grad of Owasso, is currently on the two-deep at CB. Jenks native Gabe Lynn is the other corner backup.
* Stoops singled out walk-on Michael Hunnicutt as someone who’s made a move in the four-pronged competition at place-kicker. So has fellow walk-on Bryce Easley.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 64206Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14590Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8849Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6802How to help tornado victims
- 6783Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6409Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6168Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5647Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5641Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 5457Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients