OU No. 7 in AP poll
After losing five games last year, the Sooners finished the 2009 season outside the Top 25 of the Associated Press poll.
But thanks to how they closed the year, with back-to-back wins over Oklahoma State and Stanford in the Sun Bowl, the Sooners will begin the 2010 season No. 7 in the AP poll, which was released Saturday.
And even received a first-place vote.
Alabama, however, is the overwhelming pick for No. 1, with 54 first-place votes, coming off its national championship season.
Ohio State (3), Boise State and Texas (1) were the other three teams to get first-place votes.
Other than Texas, OU’s only other ranked opponent on the schedule is No. 20 Florida State, which comes to Norman on Sept. 11. Cincinnati, however, received the most points of any team not in the Top 25. The Sooners and Bearcats meet in Cincinnati on Sept. 25.
The Top 25 teams in The Associated Press preseason college football poll, with first-place votes in parentheses:1. Alabama (54)
2. Ohio St. (3)
3. Boise St. (1)
5. Texas (1)
7. Oklahoma (1)
10. Virginia Tech
14. Southern Cal
16. Georgia Tech
18. North Carolina
19. Penn St.
20. Florida St.
24. Oregon St.
25. West Virginia
Others receiving votes: Cincinnati 108, Stanford 81, Utah 80, South Carolina 71, Houston 66, Connecticut 32, Notre Dame 31, Missouri 27, BYU 19, Arizona 15, Clemson 15, Texas Tech 14, Navy 12, Washington 8, Texas A&M 7, Mississippi 6, Oklahoma St. 3, Cent. Michigan 2, Middle Tennessee 2, Temple 2, Boston College 1, SMU 1, UCF 1.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5083Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5032Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4602UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients