Rapid reaction: OU opens Big 12 play with 67-57 road win over West Virginia
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
OU started off Big 12 play with an impressive 67-57 win over West Virginia on Saturday. Here’s some rapid reaction:
Trailing 55-51 with a little over five minutes to play, Steven Pledger drilled a three to pull the Sooners within one. Minutes later, after a flurry of OU hoops and West Virginia bricks, that one-point deficit had turned into a comfortable Sooner lead. In all, OU ended the game on an impressive 16-2 run, erasing a 12-point second half lead.
It was over when…
…Romero Osby slammed through a violent two-hand dunk, putting the Sooners up eight with 1:06 remaining. The dagger dunk came off a beautiful feed from freshman Buddy Heild (who had six points and two assists in the game’s final five minutes) and sent the disheartened Mountaineer fans to the exits early. A typically abysmal road team, OU came into Morgantown and ruined West Virginia’s Big 12 debut.
Star of the game – Romero Osby
The Sooner rotation runs 10-deep, with Lon Kruger ready and willing to knife deep into his bench at any time, hoping to spark a balanced team that lacks star power. But regardless of his fluid rotation, Kruger occasionally gets a big performance from some of his default number one options. And he got a huge one in the Big 12 opener on Saturday, with senior leader Romero Osby exploding for 21 points (on 7/10 shooting) and nine rebounds. He was powerful yet always in control, dominating West Virginia’s bulky front line.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients