OU’s Bob Stoops: 2004 National Championship should be vacated
The most interesting? The 2004 National Championship.
Now that everyone’s asking Reggie Bush to return his Heisman — see Mack Brown, USC athletic director — the natural question is what should be done about the Trojans National Championship? Remember, USC man-handled the Sooners 55-19 in the Orange Bowl that year for the title, while Auburn finished the year 12-0 with a Sugar Bowl win over Virginia Tech.
Stoops says the 2004 National Championship should be vacated.
“The reason to leave it blank is everyone, obviously, is not on the same playing field,” Stoops told the Dan Patrick Show.
“I think it’s the right thing, just to vacate it. And no one is asking my opinion, it’s just that I don’t think there’s a good way for anyone to claim it.”
And what about 12-0 Auburn?
“I’m not Auburn, so they can do whatever they feel they need to do in the end. But they didn’t play in the game and they didn’t play against Reggie Bush either.”
MORE FROM THE STOOPS ON THE DAN PATRICK SHOW
* On what means more to recruits, national championships or high draft picks: “I would say probably overall the national championship. Those are team recognitions and awards and players realize that they would have a chance to do that kind of thing would probably help you more overall than just those guys being picked.”
* On what Landry Jones does better than Sam Bradford: “(Deep breath) Uh…grows a moustache and that would probably be about it right now, but he’s working toward all the stuff on the field. (The moustache) worked really well for him last year. Hopefully it’s a little more improved with a year more maturity.”
Stoops had plenty more to say about Jermaine Gresham, Sam Bradford and whether or not he’d drive a burnt orange car if one was given to him.
Hear the full interview here.
– Asst. Sports Editor, Ryan Sharp
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7656Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7634Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6870UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients