Sooners expecting big things from OG Gabe Ikard
Two years ago, Gabe Ikard was suiting for tight end for Class 4A Bishop McGuinness.
In four days, he’ll be suiting up for offensive guard for the Division I Sooners. And not only suiting up, but playing, too.
Ikard, a redshirt freshmen out of Oklahoma City, has made remarkable progress in just a little over a year in Norman. Despite having little time to learn offensive line and put on the necessary weight (he’s put on 50 pounds in a year) to play there.
“Coming out and going to a completely new position is pretty impressive,” said starting right tackle Eric Mensik, who converted to line from tackle late last season. “He’s done a great job,” “And from watching film, he’s coming off the ball good, he’s got good feet and hands so from what the coaches have taught us he’s taken it very well.”
So well in fact that Ikard is pushing Stephen Good for a starting role at left guard.
“Stephen Good has played, Tyler Evans has played. But if you watch Gabe Ikard and (freshman) Bronson Irwin behind them, they look better than them in practice most of the time,” said offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. “So you’re going to see Ikard out there.”
At worst, Ikard will be OU’s top reserve off the sidelines at guard, with the capability to play center, too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients