Stoops on first year without Brent Venables: ‘That’s life … It’s OK; We’re all big boys’
NORMAN — Bob Stoops was asked Monday during Big 12 Media Days about beginning his first season as OU’s coach without former defensive coordinator Brent Venables on staff.
“Well, I mean, it’s …” Stoops said, seemingly unsure of what to say.
John Hoover from the Tulsa World, who asked the original question, added, “You’re side by side for 13 or 14 years …”
Stoops responded, “Yeah, but that’s … that’s life; you know?”
After a brief pause, he added, “It’s OK; We’re all big boys,” and chuckled.
Venables left to become Clemson’s defensive coordinator in January. He joined Stoops in 1999, his inaugural OU season, bolting from Bill Snyder’s Kansas State staff.
Earlier Monday, Stoops was candid regarding the defense’s performance over the past couple of seasons.
“In the past couple of years, for whatever reason — and we’ve really looked at it — our defense hasn’t been quite as strong as what we’ve been used to,” Stoops said.
His brother Mike Stoops, who was co-defensive coordinator with Venables from 1999-2003 at OU, rejoined the Sooners in January after a seven-year stint as Arizona’s head coach.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients