Sooners drop to No. 2 in AP; a breakdown of votes
CAMPUS CORNER — There’s a new AP No. 1, and it’s LSU. The Tigers just might be deserving after convincing victories in September against Oregon (neutral field) and at West Virginia.
Oklahoma played well enough to win last week at Florida State, but even that victory was sullied Saturday by the fact the Seminoles went on the road and lost at Clemson.
Look, I know, the AP poll doesn’t matter more than it matters. But it’s something to talk about. And it takes the temperature of how the Sooners are playing at this point.
What surprised me was how much the votes shifted from OU to LSU in the course of one week.
Last week’s first-place votes: Oklahoma 37 – LSU 14
This week: LSU 42 – Oklahoma 12
And for those presuming some sort of East Coast or Southern bias toward LSU and/or Alabama, consider the fact that 1) those teams probably have played better so far this season and 2) the voters are located all over the country. It’s not as if Southern media types stuff the ballot box or something.
Take a look at who voted Oklahoma and LSU No. 1 this week*. You’ll see the voters dot the map.
Oklahoma 1 – LSU 2
Austin Meek – Topeka
David Just – Lubbock
Desmond Conner – Hartford
Ira Schoffel – Tallahassee
John Werner – Waco
Matt Markey – Toledo
Oklahoma 1 – Alabama 2
Bob Asmussen – Champaign (LSU 4?)
Dave Reardon – Honolulu (LSU 3)
Keith Sargeant – Gannett NJ (LSU 3)
Mike DiRocco – Jacksonville (LSU 3)
Mike Herndon – Mobile (LSU 3)
Robert Cessna – Bryan/College Station (LSU 3)
LSU 1 – Alabama 2 – Oklahoma 3
Andy Staples – SI
Bill Cole – Winston-Salem
Bob Condotta – Seattle
Chris Fowler – ESPN
Craig James – ESPN
Dave Matter – Columbia (Mo.)
David Teel – Hampton Roads (Va.)
Doug Lesmerises – Cleveland
Eric Schmoldt – Casper
Erik Gee – Albuquerque
Garland Gillen – New Orleans
Greg Auman – St. Pete
Joe Giglio – Raleigh
Joe Medley – Anniston, Ala.
Josh Kendall – Columbia (S.C.)
Kirk Bohls – Austin
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8039Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4986Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4489Woman arrested on complaint of offering to engage in act of prostitution in Midwest City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients