The British Sooners meet again; Tom Wort, Sam Deakin catch up in Dallas
NORMAN — The two British Sooners — junior linebacker Tom Wort and rabid Oklahoma fan Sam Deakin — met again last weekend in Dallas.
Wort — originally from Crawley, England — moved to the United States with his family as a 14-year old. In New Braunfels, Texas, he became a high school standout on the gridiron, earning a football scholarship at Oklahoma.
Deakin fell in love with Oklahoma football about eight years ago. He was vacationing in Florida, watched the Sooners’ beat Texas and was hooked.
The two Englishmen met last year, when Deakin visited Norman for the first time. Back home, he runs a website dedicated to Wort.
Deakin returned to Oklahoma this month, and went down to the Cotton Bowl to see his first Red River Rivalry game in person. He’ll be in the house for Oklahoma’s highly anticipated showdown with Notre Dame on Oct. 27, too.
But while in Dallas, Deakin had a chance to visit with Wort again.
“I saw him at the hotel in Dallas,” Wort said. “He was wearing an Arsenal soccer jersey, so that’s how I recognized him.
“He’s a real good guy. He really enjoys Sooner football, so when he gets to come over he always enjoys it.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients