What two Oklahoma commits and their families had to say
National Signing Day is a big day for hundreds of high school football players.
To them, it’s a day of relief.
I went to Jenks and Booker T. Washington High Schools in Tulsa yesterday where I spoke with Jenks’ Jordan Smallwood and Booker T.’s Dominique Alexander.
Here’s what they, their families and coaches had to say:
Jordan Smallwood on how things have changed since the start of the recruitment process: ”A lot of things have changed. A lot of people have noticed you more. A lot of people try to jump up, but I’ve got to stay with the people I love and really care about me. It’s been really fun. (There’s been) a lot of new people I got to meet and understand. It’s been a fun ride.”
Shannon and Ryan Smallwood, Jordan’s parents, on who their son is: “If we are having a tough time, he won’t think about himself. He’ll come motivate us and say ‘It’s going to be okay’ or ‘We’ll make it through this situation.’ He’s not selfish. He’s not selfish at all. He’ll sacrifice anything he has to for the family.”
Jenks coach Allan Trimble on Smallwood: “A little old school. He’s very respectful. He’s very quiet, attentive. He’s a people pleaser. He wants to do well. It’s important that he pleases his coaches. He’s just a great child. … I think he can be even more bold and more assertive. I think we’ll see that blossom as he gets older and gets around higher-level athletes at OU.”
Smallwood on the story of switching his commitment from Arkansas to Oklahoma: ”Basically I went to Arkansas and we had a camp. Coach Maddox, one of our offensive coordinators said, ‘We’re goin’ to have a good day with you Jordan.’ I was just excited to play. He said, ‘Today’s going to be a great day for you.’ I just kept playing. At the end of the camp, they told me what happened. I never thought OU would even have contact. I didn’t believe it so I called him later. It was a great opportunity. The fact that I got to hear from him and I got to talk to Bob (Stoops) later that night. Just to know that I’ll be playing there is awesome.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14189Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12474Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11484OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9977Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8873Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7409Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 7240Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 5050Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4865Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4264'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients