Tony Jefferson quits Twitter two days after Bob Stoops calls it “kind of dumb, really”
UPDATE (4:07 p.m.): During their appearance on ESPN’s SportsCenter Thursday, coach Bob Stoops and quarterback Landry Jones were asked about Twitter, given Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher’s recent ban of the social networking site.
Stoops pretty much reiterated what he said at Big 12 Media Days this week, adding, “I do not want to be reading about our team on Twitter.”
Jones was then asked if he had a Twitter account, which he does (@LandryJones12, although he hasn’t been active on it since April 17).
“I wouldn’t say anything along the lines of talking about what we’re doing (within the program), but I think it’s good for guys to have,” Jones said. “Show their personality a little bit, but I also think there’s a way to be smart about it and a way to use it to where it’s good for the team and good for the individual.”
NORMAN — Tony Jefferson is off Twitter.
Jefferson, the junior safety and one of OU’s more notorious tweeters, killed his account on the popular social networking site Wednesday.
The decision comes two days after his head coach, Bob Stoops, made more comments about Twitter, from which he hasn’t banned his players. He does often criticize the site, though, and doesn’t use it himself.
“It’s kind of dumb, really,” Stoops said Monday at Big 12 Media Days. “I’ve said this, and sometimes they don’t take it to heart, but anything whatsoever to do with our program, that’s like you just had a press conference.
“If you want to (say), ‘I’m going to the grocery store,’ you know, have at it. If it’s something to do with us, I need to approve that. If they can’t get that, maybe I will (ban Twitter), or if certain guys can’t get it, I’ll just take theirs.”
Jefferson caused stirs with his tweeting back in December 2011, when he knocked the Sooners’ bowl opponent and lamented his lack of a spot on the All-Big 12 team.
For his part, teammate Brennan Clay doesn’t think Jefferson’s Twitter hiatus will last.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients