CAMPUS CORNER — I was in a weird mood the other day when I received a tweet from someone suggesting I/we do a David Letterman-style Top Ten list, since Letterman’s alma mater Ball State was coming to town.
So … here goes …
10. The NCAA ruled having Ball in the school’s name does not constitute a recruiting advantage.
9. The soon-to-be-formed Ball State Network has vowed it will not show high school highlights – only Cards games and re-runs of “The Late Show with David Letterman.”
8. Ball State is located in Muncie, Ind., which is known as Middletown USA despite the fact it’s not in the middle of America or Indiana.
7. Former OU coordinator Kevin Wilson was expected to get his first win as Indiana’s head coach against Ball State, but Ball State won.
6. Sophomoric joke rates on sports-talk radio increase 312.8 percent during Ball State week.
5. Chuck Norris briefly attended Ball State.
4. OU scheduling Ball State provided a reason for The Oklahoman to make a list about Ball State.
3. Ball State’s coaching staff came from Elon University in North Carolina. Elon, until recent years, was referred to as the Fighting Christians. It’s now the Fighting Phoenix. (This one’s true.)
2. Ball State recruited Sooners backup QB Drew Allen. Until it saw how much Allen tweeted.
1. Ball State. Neither Ball. Nor State. Discuss.