The Tailgate Blog: The Texas State Fair
CORNY DOG LAND, Texas — I’d never heard it called a corny dog until this week. No, I have not consumed one yet. It’s 9:08 a.m. as I’m starting this, far too early in the morn’ for anything fried or battered.
I am about to go wade through the grounds, see what’s being fried out there. The word is … gum. They fry gum out there. Seriously.
It’s a big day here in D. Got the RRR game. ALCS Game 1 tonight. Taylor Swift at Cowboys Stadium. Close call, and apologies to Taylor, but I’d pick this one. It’s the biggest rivalry game I’ve ever seen live, tops by far, actually. I’m looking down at the empty Cotton Bowl and imagining that, in less than two hours, it will be loud and packed – burnt orange to my left and crimson to my right.
If you love college football, and I do, this is heaven.
I’m enjoying the old country music they’re playing as the Horns begin to stream onto the field to get loose. Right now, it’s Alan Jackson’s “Dallas.” That’s fun. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m punchy. Anyway …
OU wins if … It plays the way it should. It has more experience, more talent. It’s the better team. But, as we know, the better team doesn’t always win.
I know it sounds cliche, but turnovers will settle the game. If the Sooners – and Landry Jones, in particular – take care of the ball, they’ll win easily. Start fumbling and/or throwing interceptions, and this could get interesting.
I read this morning that Texas had a walk-through here yesterday for the first time in Mack Brown‘s tenure. That was surprising. It was Bryan Harsin‘s idea, I guess. But it makes sense for a young, inexperienced team. I’m curious to see how David Ash, Case McCoy, Malcolm Brown, Jaxon Shipley and the other young Horns handle this game, this environment.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims
- 3981Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 3781Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 3432Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients