Todd McShay talks Landry Jones’ NFL Draft prospects on media conference call
NORMAN — ESPN college football and NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay was on a media conference call Friday to discuss various topics and draft prospects, and Oklahoma senior quarterback Landry Jones came up.
McShay was pretty blunt in his opinion that Jones has the arm and ability to be a solid NFL prospect, but has been far to inconsistent.
Here is the entirety of McShay’s answer when he was asked about Jones:
“Landry Jones has had a roller coaster ride, really. I went back and looked just to remind myself what it was that I fell in love with initially with his game. At one point he had won 11 straight games and had won a Big 12 Championship, and won a Fiesta Bowl and was completing in that 11-game stretch close to 67 percent and was making a lot of plays and distributing the ball.
“But he peaked then and he has not gotten better. I know in the last two weeks we’ve seen him. He looks like he’s playing with a little more confidence. But the thing that jumps out with me with Landry Jones is he has the arm. He has the ability.
“Everyone talks about he’s a terrible athlete, and I don’t 100 percent agree. I think he can do a little more, but the statistics don’t agree. But I think he can do a little more when there is conflict and he has to move around.
“Bottom line is I’ve never seen a quarterback with his ability and his potential be so inconsistent with his confidence in the pocket. That’s the whole thing. I mean, there are times when he gets back there and he gets to the top of his drop. He knows where he wants to go with the ball with his initial reads and he delivers a strike. But there are a lot of times he gets back there and the defense isn’t showing what he expected, and you can just see he gets the happy feet, if you will. He’s not comfortable. He drifts inside the pocket. You can almost — it’s almost like if you’re watching someone experience a panic attack, and that doesn’t work.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13110Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12605OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11229Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10063Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7965Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5849Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5300Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5259Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4767Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4142Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients