Three questions and three goals for Oklahoma’s possible trap game against Kansas
NORMAN — BCS No. 9 Oklahoma returns to action this evening against Kansas on Owen Field, and while the game may not seem too intriguing to most — the Sooners should win it easily — there are several things to keep your eyes on.
Here are your three questions and three goals for Saturday.
* How will OU fare against KU running back James Sims?
James Sims was suspended for the Jayhawks’ first three contests, but has made up for lost time. Sims has rushed for 344 yards in the three games he’s been back, and his 30-yard touchdown run last weekend against Oklahoma State put Kansas in position to possibly upset the defending Big 12 champs. After struggling against UTEP’s Nathan Jeffery and Kansas State’s John Hubert earlier this season, OU’s run defense has been stout over the past couple weeks against Texas Tech and Texas. Middle linebacker Tom Wort has bought into the new system and, although his tackling numbers may not be eye-popping, he’ll be vital to stopping Sims and the KU rushing attack.
* Really, how good is the Kansas defense?
The Jayhawks were successful in slowing down Oklahoma State’s high-powered attack last week, but there’s no doubt that weather played a part in it. The Cowboys also certainly aren’t what they were last season. Still, new defensive coordinator Dave Campo does seem to be making an impact. KU ranks 13th in the nation — and second in the Big 12 — in red-zone defense, and has forced opposing offenses into 14 turnovers.
* Will the Sooners look past the Jayhawks and toward next week’s showdown with Notre Dame?
Bob Stoops’ teams have never lost their game after the annual showdown with Texas, and there’s no reason to really believe it could happen Saturday. Kansas has a long, long way to go before it will be capable of doing what it would take to beat this kind of Oklahoma team, especially in Norman. If the Jayhawks come out with a lot of energy and fire, they may force a turnover early and have a little momentum. But this one will easily be over by halftime.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients