Venables, Holgerson go back
Saturday won’t be the first time, Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables and Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Dana Holgerson meet face to face.
Instead, the two actually go back to Venables’ first couple of years at OU, and Holgerson’s first season as an assistant under Mike Leach at Texas Tech.
“First time I met him was in McGregor, Texas,” Venables recalled. “There in the sticks out near Waco. Out chasing the next big one.”
Venables said the two have become friends over the years as colleagues, and continue to stay in touch. And Venables isn’t at all surprised by the success Holgerson has had in just one season at OSU.
“You look at the history of that offense, our first year when we were 7-5 and had the lead in the fourth quarter in all five losses. It doesn’t surprise me because he had the same kind of success in Houston immediately,” Venables said.
“Obviously he’s a terrific coach, very, very successful, has got a great system, knows what he’s doing. Very very competitive.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39233Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13073Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12407New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 10235Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10192UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7498Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7224Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7166Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6621Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5869Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients