Nintendo targets fitness as growth area
By Matthew Price
THE NEXT LEVEL
While some may criticize video games for encouraging sloth, Nintendo is attempting to give gamers a chance to play while improving fitness.
“Nintendo has really tried to reach out to a new gaming audience,” said Libe Goad, editor in chief at GameDaily, www.gamedaily.com. “They’re reaching out to moms; they’re reaching out to women … people who aren’t necessarily the hardcore gaming crowd.”
Wii Sports, which came packaged with the Nintendo Wii, encourages gamers to move around and play virtual sports. The upcoming Wii Fit takes it to yet another level. The game, which has been a hit in Japan, is a workout program done via the Nintendo Wii. Wii Fit is set for a May 19 release in North America.
“I think Nintendo is reaching out to that other market, people who play Wii Sports and really got into that, will have a chance to really get fit while playing Nintendo Wii,” Goad said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients