Review – Star Trek: Assignment Earth #1
The second-season “Star Trek” original series episode, “Assignment Earth,” featured Kirk and the Star Trek crew visiting 1960s earth.
Special agent Gary-7 and his sidekick Ms. Lincoln (played by Teri Garr) and the cat, Isis, were introduced as possible stars for a spinoff that never happened. Robert Lansing played Gary-7, sort of a futuristic James Bond from another planet, assigned to 1960s Earth.
Writer artist John Byrne, 40 years later, takes that premise and runs with it, creating “Star Trek: Assignment Earth” as a comic-book series. The five-part series features the time traveller and his assistant covertly tackling threats to the past.
Byrne’s art is in fine form here, and it’s well-written as well. Byrne has his bashers nowadays, but this is an interesting take on a spinoff that might have been. And “Time-travelling James Bond” seems like a good hook for a comic-book series. This one feels like a comic you could have read at the time, with nuclear tests, Soviet scientists, secret projects and double-crosses.
– Matt Price
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 3989Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 2759Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients