Video game review – Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
THE NEXT LEVEL
In the Activision game “Spider-Man: Web of Shadows,” gamers take the role of Spider-Man, as an army of alien goo-creatures attack New York.
The game starts with a lot of promise, as gamers are dropped into a chaotic cut scene. The paramilitary organization SHIELD is on hand, trying to shut down these symbiotic creatures, which have bonded with New Yorkers and are now wreaking havoc.
Spider-Man joins the battle, and the gamer discovers that former allies Luke Cage and Mary Jane Watson are upset with Spider-Man about his role in the incidents.
The game then flashes back to four days ago, as Spider-Man is in a battle with Venom. Venom is former Daily Bugle photographer Eddie Brock, who bonded with the alien symbiote that once bonded with Spider-Man. In the battle with Venom, some of the symbiote again bonds with Spider-Man.
During the game, Spider-Man can switch from the red suit to the black symbiote suit, where Spider-Man is stronger and more of a brawler. “Web of Shadows” allows the gamer to choose whether Spider-Man takes a more altruistic path, or a more selfish path. However, despite the game’s intimations to the contrary, it has more to do with decisions at specific points than how often the gamer uses the black suit.
Spider-Man meets with Luke Cage and stops various gang-related activities, until the symbiotes begin bonding with people and attacking the city. It’s up to Spider-Man to find an ally who can stop the invasion. Along the way, Spider-Man meets up with Black Cat, Moon Knight and Wolverine.
The battling is pretty fun, but repetitive. Most of the levels simply require the gamer to defeat a certain number of villains using a particular move. And while the story shows promise, it doesn’t have the impact of a storyline like “Ultimate Alliance.” The voice actor portraying Spider-Man is particularly whiny.
“Web of Shadows” shows some promising ideas and has some cool Spider-Man moments, but ultimately doesn’t deliver. It’s an improvement over the last few Spider-Man games, but Spider-Man games aren’t the innovations they once were.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims
- 8657Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8525Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7578Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients