More Moore: From Hell
This Oct. 19, 2001 will serve as this week’s “Retro Thursday” piece. This article was published tying in with the release of the “From Hell” movie.
Also, with “Watchmen” nearing, I wanted to do a series pointing out additional works by Alan Moore that those who liked the “Watchmen” graphic novel can seek out. Thus, “More Moore.” My first suggestion is the unsettling classic, “From Hell.”
“It is beginning, Netley. Only just beginning. For better or worse, the twentieth century. I have delivered it.”
That quote, from the character revealed as Jack the Ripper, drives the central premise of “From Hell,” the graphic novel by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell. Moore postulates through his fictionalized narrative that the Ripper killings of 1888 launched the world forward, and not necessarily for the better. Jack the Ripper, the world’s most famous serial killer, is revealed as a man seeking mystical power, while at the same time trying to silence a secret that could shake England.
“From Hell,” which takes its title from a letter received claiming credit for the Ripper murders, is the basis of the film starring Johnny Depp and Heather Graham.
The 500-plus page graphic novel, containing more than 60 pages of notes by Moore and Campbell, is published by Eddie Campbell Comics and represented in the United States by Top Shelf.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients