Buck for a quarter: Sci-fi character Buck Rogers returns to comics in 25-cent issue
Writer Scott Beatty and artist Carlos Rafael will create the new adventures of Buck Rogers, under covers from John Cassaday (“Astonishing X-Men”).
“Buck is a sci-fi icon. We wouldn’t have ‘Star Trek’ or ‘Star Wars’ or many of the familiar trappings of the genre without the trails blazed by Buck with his trusty ray-gun and jet-pack,” Beatty said in a news release.
Buck Rogers started in the pulps in 1928, as Anthony Rogers in the story Armageddon 2419 by Philip Francis Nowlan. Rogers moved to the comic strips the next year, when he gained a new first name, Buck, and an artist, Richard Calkins, according to Don Markstein’s Toonopedia.
Buck Rogers is an accomplished pilot who is frozen in suspended animation for 500 years. He awakens in the 25th Century to a new world. He befriends Wilma Deering and Dr. Huer, and joins Earth’s defenders, as the planet is under siege from an alien force.
Buster Crabbe, who previously played Flash Gordon, brought Buck Rogers to movie screens in 1939 as part of a motion picture serial. The character briefly appeared on television in the 1950s; the comic strip ended in 1967.
But that wasn’t Buck’s last gasp. The success of “Star Wars” – which was partially inspired by “Buck Rogers” – brought Buck back to cinemas in 1979. The film, starring Gil Gerard, was followed by a TV series. These episodes are now available for viewing online at www.hulu.com/buck-rogers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7169UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6790Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5790Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients