DVD review: The Spirit
Comic-book writer-artist Frank Miller, in his first time as a solo film director, adapts “The Spirit.”
“The Spirit” began as a comic-book newspaper insert written and drawn by Will Eisner in the 1940s. It had humor and charm, and moved the medium of graphic fiction forward, despite its flaws.
“The Spirit” motion picture, however, drowns under the weight of its flaws, despite a few interesting visuals from Miller. Miller wrote and drew “300,” “Sin City” and “The Dark Knight Returns” and was the co-director of the “Sin City” film with Robert Rodriguez.
Miller has accomplished more than most in his lifetime and is one of the most revered graphic novelists alive. Unfortunately, his “Spirit” is a mess.
It stars Gabriel Macht as the hero, who faces off against his arch-foe, the Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson), with immortality on the line.
The Spirit is attracted to nearly every woman in the film – but then, who wouldn’t be, with a roster including Eva Mendes, Scarlett Johansson, Sarah Paulson and Jaime King.
The movie is a hardboiled mix of cliche and nonsense that never quite comes together or successfully captures the spirit of the original comics.
- Matthew Price
From Friday’s The Oklahoman
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3771OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3668Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3566How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients