Iron Man villain captains a starship in Star Trek
Actor Faran Tahir last appeared in a summer blockbuster tormenting Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man as the villainous Raza. This summer, Tahir changes sides, as starship Capt. Richard Robau in J.J. Abrams’ “Star Trek.”
“You go back to being about 10 years old again the first time you walk out onto the set,” Tahir said in a recent phone interview with The Oklahoman. “My first thought was, I can’t believe it. It’s a pop-culture icon, ‘Star Trek’ is, and we’ve all grown up with it. So, to be in it, and to be a captain of a ship, it was great fun.”
On Robau’s ship, the USS Kelvin, are George and Winona Kirk. Winona is pregnant with future captain of the starship Enterprise, James T. Kirk.
“My first officer is Captain Kirk’s dad, and Captain Kirk is born on my ship while all this hoopla is going on,” Tahir said.
Tahir said Abrams wanted to reach a generation of moviegoers who had missed out on “Star Trek.”
“All the franchise series are gone now, and there hasn’t been a ‘Star Trek’ movie in a while,” Tahir said. “So, he realizes that there’s a lost generation that hasn’t got to own the ‘Star Trek’ saga. And he has created a very smart bridge, by keeping the spirit of the original ‘Star Trek’ alive and updating it, and bringing in the backstory so that a whole new generation can own it.”
One update might be that the future is now a little grimier.
“Everything is very recognizable as far as the ‘Star Trek’ world is concerned, but you will see that things are a little bit more gritty, a little bit more real,” Tahir said. “My ship, what I liked about it was that it wasn’t as pristine and clean as some of the ships have been. It looked like a ship that’s been out there for a while, it has some mileage on it. It gives that real tangible, gritty feeling to it.”
Tahir is used to gritty, after filming desert sequences in 2008′s “Iron Man.” “Iron Man 2″ is filming now, and while Tahir is signed on for sequels, he said he thought if his character were to return, it would more likely be further down the line.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 37007Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32519Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27986Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 8311Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6200OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3643College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3643Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3356Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3265Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3234George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients