Action Comics 1 sells for $1M
A high-grade copy of Action Comics 1, featuring the first appearance of Superman, has sold for $1 million dollars, according to the Associated Press. Both the buyer and seller remained anonymous. The transaction was handled by ComicConnect.com, according to the AP.
The book is an unrestored 8.0 on a 10.0 scale. “Action” No. 1 rarely comes up for sale, and only about 100 are believed to still exist. The book was published in 1938.
Rob Vollmar, of the Atomik Pop comic-book store in Norman, said he was surprised to see a comic break the $1 million barrier in this tough economy, but said ultimately the scarcity and historical value of the book, and high quality of this copy, led to the record-breaking price.
“It illustrates the fundamentals of comic collection in a sense,” Vollmar said. “There are very few of them, there are never going to be any more, and it’s a thing of significant enough cultural value that regardless of what the economy apparently is doing, if one of those changes hands, it’s going to shift a significant amount of money in the process.”
- Matt Price
Click past the cut for a scan of the the rarely seen back cover of this historic comic.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101883Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13737Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10731Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9553OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8470Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7788How to help tornado victims
- 7217Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7121Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 6843Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 5845Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients