Action Comics 1 sells for $1.5 million
The highest-graded known copy of “Action Comics” No. 1 has sold, for a record-smashing $1.5 million dollars.
The book was sold via ComicConnect.com.
“This new record will be hard to break,” said ComicConnect.com co-owner and COO, Vincent Zurzolo in a news release. “Because this particular Action Comics #1 is literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet.”
This “Action Comics” No. 1, the first appearance of Superman, from 1938, is graded 8.5 on a 10-point scale. The high grade is possible in part because this issue was tucked away inside a movie magazine for decades, keeping it away from the elements. The 8.5 rating is the highest for any known copy of the book, and .5 higher than the $1 million Action Comics 1 that sold earlier this year. That was briefly the record for the price of any comic book, before being bested later that week by a high-grade “Detective Comics” No. 27, the first appearance of Batman.
The issue that sold Monday was bought from a private collector and then sold by Stephen Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo, the co-owners of ComicConnect.com.
Fishler declined to name the buyer but told the Associated Press that he was “a hardcore comic book fan.”
- Matt Price
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 79875Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16375OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12357Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12103Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10249Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9002How to help tornado victims
- 8692Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 8481Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8426Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients