Top 10 James Robinson comic book series
Happy birthday to “Starman” writer James Robinson, celebrating his 47th birthday today. To celebrate, here’s my list of the top 10 graphic novels or comic-book series by the acclaimed author. Not included is the current “Last Stand on New Krypton,” since it’s not yet completed, but I highly recommend it so far.
I’m going to include the entire run as one work. It’s been collected in trades, and is in the process of being re-collected in fantastic-looking hardcovers. You can also track it down as “Starman” issues #0-#80.
In “Starman,” reluctant hero Jack Knight takes on the superheroic role of Starman, following in the footsteps of his father and brother. Eschewing a traditional superhero uniform, Jack dons a leather jacket and anti-flare goggles and takes to the sky using a device invented by his father, the cosmic rod.
Jack’s hometown of Opal City becomes one of the great fictional cities of the DC Universe under Robinson’s pen, and Jack himself is perhaps the best-developed comic-book character created in the entire decade of the 1990s. Artist Tony Harris co-created the character and drew the first four and half years of the book. His art set the mood for the book, and made it immediately visually different from many of the rest of mainstream comics being published at the time.
2. JSA: The Golden Age
In this alternate universe tale, DC’s superheroes give up their roles at the conclusion of World War II. Retired heroes are faced with the McCarthy commission and others questioning their loyalties. Drawn by Paul Smith, this 1993 miniseries was nominated for an Eisner Award. I find it an interesting companion piece to “Kingdom Come,” by Mark Waid and Alex Ross, which came out shortly after.
3. Leave it to Chance
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients