Best comic-book series of 2010
Detectives, zombies and superheroes highlighted the best in periodical comic books in 2010. While most comics are eventually collected in graphic novels, the monthly periodical comic still drives most traffic in comic book stores.
The following are 2010′s best 10 periodical comic books.
1. “Supergirl” (DC Comics). Tulsa native Sterling Gates brought his run on “Supergirl” to a close in 2010. With artist Jamal Igle, Gates imbued Kryptonian teen Kara with a personality and soul that went far beyond her super-abilities. Supergirl dealt with the death of her society, betrayal from a friend, and the constant struggle to live up to her family crest. In 2010, Supergirl learned that, like those of us without superpowers, she couldn’t simply run from her problems and her pain but had to face up to them.
2. “Chew” (Image Comics). Cibopathic detective Tony Chu gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. In this near-future, the Food and Drug Administration has become the most powerful law-enforcement group on the planet, after a bird flu led to the banning of chicken. Chu faces off against his ex-partner, gets a new girlfriend and deals with a family Thanksgiving before the possible end of the world is threatened at year’s end.
3. “Demo” Vol. 2 (DC Comics/Vertigo). Writer Brian Wood and artist Becky Cloonan revived their series “Demo,” first published at AiT-Planet Lar, for DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint in 2010. “Demo” is made up of short stories of young people with unnatural powers, but it’s done in a different way than something like the “X-Men.” “Demo” looks at young people at a turning point in their lives, with an unusual ability often serving as a metaphor. From romance to dark horror, each of the six issues of “Demo” is like a short film unto itself.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients